Head of Outdoor Activity Centre, Chichester Harbour
Cobnor Activities Centre Trust is an independent registered charity with a passion for developing all young people through outdoor, residential and environmental activities. A key provider of outdoor activities with learning and educational outcomes, it specialises in water sports including dinghy sailing, keel boating, power boating, canoeing and kayaking as well as range of shore based activities including archery, cycling, climbing, axe throwing, and aero ball. In addition to non-residential courses, there is residential accommodation for groups of 10 to 60 people as well as opportunities for camping and plans for further site development.
The Centre is based on Chichester Harbour between Chichester and Portsmouth, on the Chidham peninsula, with access to the water at all states of the tide.
We are looking for a new Head of Centre to see the Centre through its next phase of development and manage all aspects of the effective delivery of high quality programmes of outdoor learning. Working in close collaboration with the Board of Trustees, the right candidate will contribute to the Trust’s strategic development as a leading provider of outdoor and educational learning.
Key responsibilities include:
- Recruiting, leading, supervising managing and motivating team members, which include permanent and seasonal, paid and unpaid, individuals and volunteers.
- Planning, marketing and implementing the operational management of the centre including the activity programmes, buildings, equipment, health and safety.
- Ensuring the delivery of excellent standards of service to all customers,
- Focusing on educational customers in outdoor learning, delivering the charity’s core objective of personal and social development of young people.
- Developing the centre’s offer, range of activities and facilities in line with the strategy developed in conjunction with the Trustees.
- Ensuring operational procedures meet the requirements of National Governing Bodies, the Adventure Activities Licence Authority, other licensing authorities and best practice H&S.
- Developing relationships with schools and colleges, and other individual users within the harbour and sector.
The successful candidate will have
- Strong background of people management, including setting objectives, supervision and review as well as a sound understanding of effective HR policies and procedures for a small organisation.
- A minimum of five year’s management experience within an Outdoor Activity Centre offering multi activities both water and land based
- Affinity for sports activities and outdoor education, one of these supported by NGB sailing, paddlesports or climbing leader qualifications.
- Good communication and interpersonal skills with experience of leading, developing and managing diverse teams of mainly young people,
- Current understanding of the role and contribution of outdoor learning in schools.
- Commercial awareness, H&S knowledge, and excellent problem-solving skills.
Salary band £35 to 40k per annum. Benefits include 25 33 days holiday (inc. bank holidays), pension scheme, supported training and development, free on-site parking.
Average of 40 hours per week (annualised hours agreement) with a minimum of 2 rest days per week. This role includes working weekends according to the programme of activities and in co-ordination with the activity instructors.
Contact Martin@thethriveteam.co.uk 01243 957667 Closing date for applications Friday November 10 2023